Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Patchwork Throwdown, Stuff

So this Saturday will be the Patchwork vs. This Ghost show, and it should be amazing. More info on this can be found at the patchwork website--but it will be an all out brawl starting at 8 and for only $5. Theres a Ted Leo concert that same night in town for the same price, which I guess is our competition. Its kind of hard to take that seriously when I think of the music that will take place at our event. Hopefully Richmond's inferiority complex will take a breather and come out to support its own (in lethal combat).

Finding new ways to perform music is an endless source of amusement for me. It was very inspirational to see/hear Anthony Braxton, and its something that I knew would be great...but he far surpassed my already high expectations. It just makes you think of the very nature of sound, and ways to organize it in a way that gives freedom. Everyone in the ensemble had a lot of freedom within this framework that Braxton developed, and its that very framework that I only now fully appreciate. The implications of it are amazing, and to me, are far more interesting then anything most composers have done. I used to think John Zorn was on to something with his gamepieces, but after listening to Cobra, and seeing performance footage, it was never something I could listen to more than once (and sometimes that was hard). Braxton has laid down a melodic framework that is never too imposing, but always fun to work with and around...something I am very interested in trying to establish myself. Its lead me to an idea of a new biggish group that would play hip-hop influenced music, but in a way that would lend itself to much freedom, I'm still thinking about it, but its something that I hope to actually bring to light!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home