Thursday, March 23, 2006

Geekdom in Music

Today I've been thinking about the fact that I am involved in creating new/creative music, and that I am a gigantic geek. I grew up with Nintendo, Genesis, Sega CD, Gameboy, Super Nintendo, and of course...the arcade. Terms like, "Leveling Up", "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start", "Quater-Circle Forward", "8 Meg Cartridge", and "Mode 7" were just part of the language I used when talking with my friends. The endless Sega vs. Nintendo debate (of which I was on Sega's side), and the stupidity of the Power Glove were things I could talk about all day long.

Now, I am 26 and can still talk about them all day long.

I realized this the weekend I played in the Glenn Branca Symphony for 100 Guitars. On the way back riding with Josh and Nick of my band Ones & Zeros , we talked about video games the entire way home. It was amazing, and it really got me thinking about how you could use this influence in music. I have no idea yet, but there has to be a better way of honoring the memories of gaming then starting a Nintendo cover band. Maybe by examining the patterns of code in Metroid, you could transcribe a Charlie Parker sax solo. I think Justin Bailey knows!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm..maybe you could create a room with sound areas, sort of map out sounds from a set of video games, and then have people just explore OR have a goal in mind. meh.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home