Sunday, April 02, 2006

Lascaux and Recording

The Lascaux Trio gig went well last night. The group is Jason Arce on sax, Pinson Chanselle on drums and myself. Last night John D'earth came down and played trumpet with the group for pretty much the entire performance. It was great getting to play with John (who is pretty much a living legend), and I felt like he really made the whole group sound better. We didn't get to rehearse, so my version of Leonard Cohen's "Last Year's Man", and Pinson's Joanna Newsome arrangement went unplayed, but we did get to try some interesting things. Playing mostly standards, Pinson and I had this great idea that just didn't pan out. It comes from an Anthony Braxton show from 1975 that I've been listening to a lot, where the rhythm section of Dave Holland and Barry Altchul simple play one note hits every couple of measures behind the soloists. The idea sounds great, but when Pinson and I did this over Sonny Rollins' "The Bridge", it just didn't work out. We knew it was bad when D'earth simply stopped playing. He just didn't deal with this in the manner which we hoped, so we reluctantly just played a regular rhythm changes background behind the remander of the piece...oh well. Overall the gig went well, we'll see if D'earth calls in the future.

And I got recording dates for Ones and Zeros and Standards and Practices in April, so that will be cool, and I will be mastering my solo gerund project so stay tuned for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home